Sell • Persuade • Influence
Persuasion vs. Manipulation
Is persuasion the same as manipulation?
At my live events, people ask me this question and my answer is always the same: while persuasion
can be used to manipulate people (getting them to do something that is not in their best interest),
persuasion is not inherantly manipulative.
The Persuasion One philosophy is to help you to develop and use your persuasion skills to create win/win
situations where everyone benefits. When you create win/win results, there are several practical benefits:
- You will build long term relationships instead of one doing time deals. Becuase of
these long term relationships, you will make more money and get more of what you want in the long
- Because your customers won't feel like they were taken advantage of, you will create raving
fans who keep coming back to buy more.
- There will be no buyer's remorse and returns when you help people to discover what they want and then give
it to them.
- You will get references and leads because your customers will be delighted to tell their friends abd
collegues about you.
- Your self esteem will increase because you kknow that you are helping people, not taking
advantage of them.
Persuasion is helping everyone to get what they want.
Manipulation is only getting what you want.
When you compare persuasion to manipulation, persuasion is the clear winner.